CRCC’s Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Evaluation Clinic provides services for children with a wide range of diagnoses, medical complexities and cognitive challenges that result in communication limitations, and who may benefit from an alternative method of communication. The clinic provides complete assessment, training and support experience for these children, their families and therapeutic teams.
The AAC team will assess your child’s communication skills, using their current preferred methods, and then explore the possibilities for expanded communication using augmentative and alternative tools.
Payment for most communication devices is obtained from Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance. CRCC will work with you throughout this process and submit the necessary forms.
The goals of the AAC team include:
• Developing an effective means of communication
• Gaining confidence in communicating
• Building relationships and encouraging social interaction
• Developing capabilities to express basic needs, thoughts and emotions
• Increasing independence in home, school and community
The AAC team provides a wide range of services to customize your child’s experience, including:
• Evaluation of communication skills and needs
• Evaluations for AAC aids (low tech and high tech), strategies and techniques
• Positioning for access and to reduce physical barriers
• Training for client, family, educators and communication partners
• Treatment with and without SGDs
• Device programming
• Customized access and mounting solutions